Created by the King Faisal Foundation, the University Preparatory Program (UPP) is a unique opportunity to provide education of high school graduates in rigorous academic preparation that meet or exceed, the requirements for entry to universities at home and abroad. Designed for students whose first language is not English, UPP offers English language training, skills training, and intensive courses at the college level preparations, as well as university-level students.
All faculty members are English-speakers and hold the highest degrees in their fields. The university preparatory program was developed, implemented and managed in cooperation with the American-Middle East Educational Services and Training, Inc. (AMIDEAST), a non-profit American educational organization in the Middle East and North Africa since 1951.
Our Mission and Vision
UPP is a highly selective academic program that prepares students to pursue higher education at competitive universities in Saudi Arabia and around the world. Our mission is to train students in a stimulating academic environment to become life-long learners, critical thinkers, andproblem solvers able to succeed in institutions of higher learning.
At UPP, students are our top priority. Our international faculty brings a vast collective professional experience that will serve to enhance and inspire student learning. Through the Office of Student Services, students receive academic and career advice, and additional help is available for those who may be struggling academically. Visiting professionals expose students to career options in various fields. Extracurricular activities—including clubs, sports, and social activities—enrich campus life and promote a collegial atmosphere. UPP encourages not only the academic advancement of each student, but also the development of confident graduates prepared to meet future challenges.
UPP’s approach is unique—
- English is the sole medium of instruction for all subjects and lab sessions.
- Students are exposed to fundamental content knowledge and laboratory-based experiences.
- Instruction is student-centered, where students assume an active and important role in their own learning and understanding.
- The UPP curriculum is based on the integration of English language training, the sciences, mathematics, and information technology. Students follow one of three tracks that prepare them for university careers in medicine, engineering, and business.
All academic courses emphasize skills development in learning techniques, written and spoken communications, leadership, time management, and critical thinking.
- Applicants are placed in courses according to their individual levels of knowledge and English language proficiency. Individualized attention is given to students who may be struggling academically.
- Preparation for standardized tests helps students maximize their achievement on SAT I, SAT Subject Tests, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and even Advanced Placement (AP) exams for those who qualify.